Withdrawing from Nido
The nature of an international school is that families transfer in and out of Nido on a regular basis. Knowing of that transition in advance helps us with our admissions planning for our next semester and allows us to prepare your children and their friends for this transition.
If your family will definitely be relocating from Nido at the end of this semester, please do the following:
Step 1: Complete the Nido Withdrawal Form.
Step 2: Coordinate with the divisional administrative assistants to request transcripts and exit papers.
Step 3: Student records may be picked up in the Students Accounts Office in the Administration Building prior to the students' departure.
Temporary withdrawal is defined as an absence of more than one month and less than 12 months that is approved in advance by the Headmaster, upon the recommendation of the Principal.
It is important that families considering a temporary withdrawal familiarize themselves with the Board Policy, found here. There are two types of temporary withdrawal:
- Temporary withdrawal with space reserved — the family pays the registration and tuition fees while absent and upon return the student is guaranteed immediate placement in the appropriate grade.
- Temporary withdrawal without space reserved — the family pays only the annual registration fee while absent and upon return the student is guaranteed the next available placement in the appropriate grade (pending space availability).
Temporary withdrawal approval, if granted, is valid for the period requested and indicated on the approval letter. For High School students, it is important to note that a student must earn the necessary credits toward graduation while they are away, and must return at the beginning of a semester. High School students cannot return to Nido mid-semester due to the difficulty of attaining the necessary credits.
The procedure to request a temporary withdrawal can take 2-3 weeks, and is as follows:
- The family reads and understands the Nido Temporary Withdrawal policy.
- The family completes the Temporary Withdrawal Request Form online, which is sent to the Admissions Office.
- The Admissions Office coordinates the approval from the appropriate divisional principals.
- In the case of High School students, or if there are concerns for academic reasons, the corresponding principal or guidance office may request a meeting with the family before determining if the temporary withdrawal can be approved. High School students and their families should discuss the possibility of a temporary withdrawal with the student’s guidance counselor to ensure the continuation of studies and the completion of the graduation requirements.
- Once the corresponding principals and the Headmaster decide if the withdrawal is approved or not, the Admissions Office will send the family a decision letter.
To ensure a smooth return to Nido, the family must:
- Contact the Nido Admissions Office confirming the family’s return three months before the start of the semester.
- Provide the Nido Admissions Office and appropriate divisional guidance office with the records of the student’s academic work during their absence. If the student was not in school, Nido reserves the right to evaluate the student for appropriate placement.