Guidance & Counseling
“Nobody can learn for you. Nobody can grow for you. Nobody can seek for you. Nobody can do for you what you must do for yourself. Existence doesn’t allow representatives.”
The Middle School Guidance and Counseling program promotes the intellectual, academic, emotional, and social growth of all students so that they may succeed in their education. Counselors help students cope with the diverse changes and challenges they meet on a daily basis and to prepare them to be self-advocates and problem-solvers as they navigate their relationships with peers and adults.
We are committed to creating a learning environment where students are encouraged to understand themselves, to develop healthy peer relationships, to accept personal responsibility for their own behavior, to make effective decisions and to develop sound values and high ideals.
The Middle School has one full-time counselor and one full-time counselor/psychologist who provide the following services:
- Assist students in developing a better understanding of themselves, recognizing their individual strengths and weaknesses, and helping them make realistic choices, decisions, and plans
- Provide counseling to students with personal concerns
- Serve as consultants for teachers and administrators in matters relating to the student's school-related needs
- Provide guidance to students with academic or other school-related needs
- Provide orientation for new students and organize cultural transitions groups
- Facilitate the transition of Elementary School students to Middle School and of Middle School students to High School
- Contribute to the planning of the Advisory and House programs
- Administer entrance examinations
- Offer parents guidance and support
Any student voluntarily seeking assistance with a personal problem from the school counselor is guaranteed confidentiality unless the counselor determines that there is a physical or emotional danger to the student, another student, or the student body, at which point the counselor will advise the Principal of this possibility.