Nido de Aguilas’ Elementary School Support Services strives to meet students’ individual learning needs in an inclusive, responsive, and collaborative environment. We believe that all learners can succeed academically when provided with support targeting their specific needs, and we are committed to giving each child the tools he or she needs in order to reach his or her full potential. As an international school, Nido recognizes that students bring valuable learning experiences to the classroom through their home languages and cultures, and we take those into account in assessing all learning needs and differences.
Nido’s ES Support Services Team possesses a variety of resources to help assess and meet students' differing needs, including:
- Evaluation of present levels of performance
- Individual goal-setting and instructional planning
- Reading intervention
- Language acquisition support
- Gifted and Talented enrichment
- Math performance analysis
- Coordination with a Student Support Team for integrated support across multiple dimensions, including socio-emotional and with external providers
Reading intervention teachers support students with literacy challenges in small-group settings using the Leveled Literacy Intervention program as their primary resource. The Learning Resource teachers utilize both individual and small-group strategy-focused instruction. In all cases, care is taken that those prerequisite skills and concepts necessary for a solid educational foundation are acquired and that progress is monitored and intervention is adjusted accordingly.
To inquire about the school’s ability to meet specific student learning needs, please contact the Admissions Office to arrange an interview to discuss whether Nido could be a good fit for your child.
Nido uses a Student Support Team (SST) model to support student learning needs. The SST is comprised of the ES administration, a school counselor, classroom teachers, and whichever of the following is needed: the learning support teacher, the gifted and talented teacher, the language acquisition specialist, the learning resource teacher, and the school nurse. The Student Support Team seeks to match the child’s individual learning needs with available school and area resources, including specialists in the Santiago area, in order to provide consistent and coordinated support for the student during his or her educational career at Nido de Aguilas.
The Elementary School Language Acquisition Program is designed to assist students with limited English proficiency.
The following services are offered:
- Evaluations to determine entrance into and development within the program.
- Development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills through the teaching of course content material for each grade level.
- Consultation with classroom teachers to support students in their regular instruction.
All ES students receive instruction in English in their classrooms. Students with English language acquisition needs may receive up to 90 minutes a day of individual or small group English language instruction. The rest of the day they are in their regular classrooms. Depending on individual needs, the Language Acquisition Specialists (LAS) also may provide extra support within the regular classroom. Students should be mainstreamed fully, with no language support, within two years.
The Gifted and Talented Program provides additional academic challenges to students in Grades 2-5 by offering:
- Enrichment lessons for elementary classrooms.
- Pull-out programs for students in language arts, mathematics, and other subjects designed to encourage inquiry-based learning and problem-solving skills.
- Individual goal-setting and instruction in specific areas to meet the student’s needs.
- Collaborative consultation and instruction with classroom teachers.
- Diagnostic testing to identify gifted and talented students to determine upper levels of achievement.
Admission to the Gifted and Talented program is ongoing throughout a student’s time in the Elementary School.